Monday, June 27, 2011

Spiritual Signs of Co-Dependency

Co-Dependency is not always easy to see.  And in the LDS faith, since there is a great focus on service, it can become even more hidden.  I see co-dependency as Satan's counterfeit to charity.  The following list is an example...
True Principles                                                Counterfeit
 Faith (trusting God)                                       If I can control you, then I can trust you

                                                                       

Hope (from God)                                            Trust in the arm of the flesh (hope in me)

                                                                       

Charity                                                            Give until I’m exhausted.  No boundaries, no limits.  I have to work my way into Heaven. 



Be a Peace Maker                                           Smooth-over everything and everyone.  No conflict, no anger.  Keep everyone happy



Love                                                                Enmeshed, Dependent, lost in each other



Intimacy                                                          Intensity, support each other by saving/ fixing/ or turn a blind eye to spouse’s faults and sins – minimize them so that everyone is happy



Godly Sorrow                                                 Self Pity, putting myself down, beating myself up



Broken Heart/Contrite Spirit                          Self-Hatred, self loathing, secretly believing I am worthless, unwanted and undesirable



Obedience                                                       Rigidity, extremism, judgmental



Humble/Meek and Lowly of Heart                Passive, Being a Door Mat, deny my gifts and talents, unable to take a compliment – either it makes my head swell or I push it away and discount it



Disciplined                                                      Compulsive, giving 155%



Committed                                                      Zealous, Obsessed



Confidence                                                     Arrogance, need to be “one-up,” need the spotlight



Surrender                                                        Lose the war, give up, be weak and powerless, without protection






 

1 comment: