Wednesday, September 29, 2010

My Story

One day my Bishop called me into his office.  "How are you doing?" He asked.  This question reflected the continuing struggle I had with addiction since age 11.  I sighed.  After countless 12 step meetings in the community, a two and a half month inpatient treatment program, hundreds of hours in a therapist's office - I still couldn't "shake free" of my addiction.  I silently resigned myself to always being in my addiction.  Recovery just wasn't going to happen for me.

The Bishop picked up a piece of paper and scanned it.  "The Church has a recovery program.  Maybe you should check it out," he suggested.  I had already worked through the 12 steps in a traditional setting, but I nodded.  "I'll go," I said.

During the first meeting, as I sat around a table in the High Council room, I was amazed at what I felt.  For the first time in many years I felt loved.  It was as if my whole body was engulfed in a tidal wave of love.  I cried during the meeting.  Heavenly Father loved me!  He loved me!  This was such a personal, intimate experience - I could barely contain my emotions.  Even on my best day, I had never experienced such a spiritual experience.

Gone was the doubt.  Gone was the hesitancy.  And gone was the hopelessness. 

Such was the beginning of the greatest journey I have experienced during my mortal existence.

No comments:

Post a Comment